Saturday, February 28, 2009

The Human Connection

To continue last night's post...there's this guy. When I first met him, he was in a relationship and kind of reclusive. However, once that relationship ended, he started getting to know people better, myself included. Then, this thing kind of happened where we ended up being the last people in the dorm lounge and started talking about everything that was shit in our lives - a heart-to-heart, really. That's when I realized what a wonderful person he really is, and when he realized that just because I talk doesn't mean I talk about people. I think that's when I gained his trust, and things changed yet again.

And then this week, he said something so sweet, whether he realized it or not; he was just completing a thought, and ended with "...you know why? Because you're like a sister to me." And that's when I realized how I felt about him. I felt like I had known him my entire life, that I could trust him with anything, that no matter what, I could come to him and he would be there. As much as I love my roommate, she isn't good at handling emotional situations, so I would never put her in that kind of situation, and the friends that I would talk to live hours away. That doesn't mean I can't talk to them, but I'm also a very physical person, and the ability to talk to someone in the same room somehow makes it better. But despite all this, and the fact that I can usually say anything, part of me is afraid to tell him. It's kind of like being afraid to tell someone you love them because it may not be reciprocated, only not...I don't know if he'll ever read this, but I appreciate him more than I think he knows, and knowing I have him to fall back on if I need a shoulder or an ear or anything is the most wonderful and the warmest feeling ever. Do you have any idea how comforting it is to feel that way about someone in a platonic relationship? If you don't, you're missing out on something indescribably normal, odd as that sounds, and if you do, well, enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment