Thursday, March 5, 2009

Oh, generation gap...

So it's a slow day at the restaurant and the last table leaves. My mom sits down across the table from me, and comes out with
"What's your plan for tomorrow? Let me tell you: you'll get up around 12, get cereal, leave the box on the counter, take the bowl to your room and leave it there, and then I'll see you around 4:30 for work. Friday and Saturday will be the same thing, and then Sunday you'll be back at school."
Immediately I know where this is going. See, I used to be very close with my mom, but that may have had to do with the fact that I was homeschooled, and we own a restaurant so we work together. Basically, we were together 24/7, so of course we talked about a lot of things. Then, I went to college, forged new relationships, and found other people that I had things in common with to talk to and share things with - because as much as I love my mother, we don't have all that much in common.

She was born in Paris in 1953, grew up there, got married, moved to Philly and worked at her husband's bakery at my age (18), had a kid, got divorced a few years later, and worked as a waitress in a 5-star bistro before marrying my father - a Greek sailor - and buying a restaurant of their own. I, on the other hand, was born and raised in a small Pennsylvania town (albeit with very European values & mindset) and homeschooled completely until college. And she's surprised that we're drifting apart...the thing is, though, I don't want it to happen, but I can't seem to stop it. I want to share my life and my views with her, and I tried to put the intangible "why" of why we're drifting into words. Part of it is that she isn't interested in the things that interest me, and vice versa; I'm a geek in many ways, and I also love the random and absurd, whereas she has to be able to "relate to things". She used to be very open and adventurous, and then she became religious - I'm at a point in my life where I don't want to take everything seriously, because I know I'll have to later...yet I feel like I'm hurting her as we drift apart and I don't know how to stop it. Feeling helpless is just miserable...but I know that eventually I'll mature and we'll get closer again. For now, I know I'm doing as much as I can while staying true to myself, and I still have my friends to lean on.

No comments:

Post a Comment